Twitter Handle

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Last Day of ENDO 2013 Already!

First off, I want to thank everyone who visited my blog over the past few days. I tried to present my thoughts on a few of the best sessions that I attended from the view of a pediatric endocrinologist. I also hope that everyone had a least a little bit of time to explore the city of San Francisco. It truly is a wonderful place and certainly deserves another trip if your time was too limited. 

Unfortunately I had an afternoon flight the impeded my ability to go to more sessions on day 4 of ENDO2013. I did get a chance to hear about the genetics of obesity and insulin resistance. Thankfully the two sessions were right across the hall from each other. The first talk related to epigenetic changes that occur in relation to obesity in subcutaneous versus visceral adipose tissue. The next talk focused on the sympathetic nervous system  activation in obesity. The next talk focused on the FTO gene and the browning of adipose tissue. I was able to catch some of the talk next door on carotid intimal thickness in adolescents. The session closed with CRP and its association with fracture risk in adults. All the presenters showed some very interesting data that I hope lead to further studies in the fight against obesity. 

I am glad that some of these studies explored adolescents as unfortunately this population has shown an alarming increase in obesity rate. We certainly need as much research as possible to try and prevent obesity in the adolescent period, which is certainly correlated with later obesity.

I hope everyone has a safe trip back home wherever that may be and see you next year in Chicago! 

No comments:

Post a Comment